Stories

Pakistan: Private sector rules in technical education too….

 

CIRP Report

Do you know of all technical and vocational institutions across Pakistan, a whopping 70 percent are in the private sector? Yes, private sector where one has to pay much more than public institutes.

As per the official stats in the Pakistan Education Statistics 20116-17, there are 3,798 technical and vocational institutes in the country of which 1,139 (30%) are in public sector while remaining 2,659 are in private sector!

 

 

In terms of enrolment at these institutes the ratio of students is not that low which means public sector technical and vocational institutes are overcrowded and why not. It’s no rocket science to understand that unlike private institutes which, primarily, run on commercial model fee structure at public institutions is always affordable.

The total enrolment in the technical and vocational institutions is 0.315 million, of which 0.137 million (44%) is in public sector, whereas, 0.177 million (56%) is in private sector.

 

 

This also means that there is need for more and more such institutes in the public sector.

Interestingly the 50 percent of the teachers serving in the technical and vocational institutions in Pakistan are in the public sector and the same percentage is in the private sector. This shows in terms of student-teacher ratio the public institutions are better than the private ones. This also raises the point that there is dearth of teachers in the private institutions.

As many 9,139 teachers are for 0.137 million students of public institutions while for 0.177 million students enrolled in private institutions there are 9,018 teachers.

The gender gap vis-à-vis technical and vocational education is also quite visible. The total male enrolment in the technical and vocational institutions is 65%, whereas the female enrolment is 35%.

It is pertinent to mention here that Pakistan is signatory of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The SDG 4.4 is about technical education and vocational training.

“By 2030, substantially increase the number of youth and adults who have relevant skills, including technical and vocational skills, for employment, decent work and entrepreneurship.”

Now the question is: “Can the government increase the number of Pakistani youth and adults who have technical and vocational skills when it has just 30 percent of the institutes and remaining 70 percent run by the private sector?”

 

 

Main image: TEVTA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *